2. Based on what you have read, would you like to live in the world Jane inhabits?

From what I have read, I would not have liked to have lived in a similar position to Jane. The world she inhabits is a world of firm and often unjust authority where she is constantly repressed.

At Gateshead, Jane is an outsider. Her uncle Mr. Reed died leaving orders for Jane to be taken care of by Mrs. Reed. Jane is therefore a burden, despised, excluded and bullied. She is constantly labelled "deceitful", and when Mrs. Reed tells this to Mr. Brocklehurst the Headmaster of Lowood School where Jane intended to make a fresh start without this label, Jane is indignant: "Now, uttered before a stranger, the accusation cut me to the heart. I dimly perceived that she was already obliterating hope from the new phase of existence which she destined me to enter." 

Lowood school provides girls with an education and holds strong Christian values, but it is effectually an orphanage, and reminds me more of an orphanage than anything else. Mr. Brocklehurst is in control of the school and places an emphasis on frugality and keeping running costs low. Food is scarce and of bad quality,and clothing is insufficiant to protect from the cold in winter during the hour each day the girls are required to spend outdoors. In its emphasis on modesty, Mr. Brocklehurst goes as far as to cut off the girl's curly hair, ordering her not to "conform to nature". This is a clear example of the Headmaster's hypocrisy as, with ironic timing, his wife and two daughters enter, lavishly dressed.

Jane's future holds no promise of Excitement or great freedom. She becomes a govorness, the only occupation suitable for her. At this time, it was unthinkable that a woman could become a doctor, run a business or become mayor. These times were far removed from our modern ideas of equality.

« October 2017 »
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • 31
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .