Mr. Rochester

My first impression of Mr. Rochester was not a particularly good. He comes across as self-centered, moody, bossy, self-important, not particularly sociable and often overly direct.

He often comes across as a spoilt child and dislikes spending time with Adele, as I believe she reminds him too much of himself.

He is also quite patronizing to Jane as he tells her what to do but treats her like a child.

Overall my impression of Mr. Rochester is not great, but I hope that he will prove me wrong as the story continues.

Book Review No. 2

Title: Mort

Author: Terry Pratchett.

Rating: 10/10

The first line on the back of this book reads as follows: ‘Death comes to us all. When he came to Mort, he offered him a job…’ This book was simply superb. Full of dry wit, characters so realistic that you feel as if they could be standing beside you (yes, including Death), a world you could step into and just the right amount of action, mystery and romance.

Mortimer, or Mort for short, was an ordinary son of a farmer. ‘He was tall, red-haired and freckled, with the sort of body that seems only marginally under its owner’s control; it appeared to have built out of knees….’ But then one day his father decided it was time for Mort to leave home and get an apprenticeship. But no-one seems interested in Mort, until at the very last minute when a dark figure on a horse arrives. It is Death, and he is looking for an apprentice…

Mort joins Death and soon begins to help him collect the souls of the dead on Death's skeleton horse; Binky. But what happens when Death decides to take a day off… Will Mort be able to manage?

This book is hilarious and Terry Pratchett’s style of writing is flawless. The author is able to make his characters into real people with different and distinct personalities. I feel this is hugely important to have in any book. Without plausible people in a story it will not be any where near as successful as a book that does. By the end of the story I felt extremely fond of all the characters.

Pratchett’s quirky and humorous descriptions are what really make this book special. I would recommend this book to anyone. It is truely brilliant.

A Review on 'A Streetcar named Desire.'

I thoroughly enjoyed the performance of the play ‘Streetcar Named Desire' by Tennessee Williams in the Solstice Arts Center.

This play had many extremely good points such as the actors and the sound affects and music. But I often found the stage quite cluttered and distracting, with its many props that were never even used. Even though it was obvious that a lot of time had been spent in creating the impression of a small apartment in New Orleans, I believe that they would have been able to create this without using so many props and materials.

But I did not think on this for very long as the superb acting completely overshadowed it. The actor who played Blanche truly captured the spirit of the nervous, vain woman that Blanche is. She delivered her lines with perfect conviction and out-shone most of the other actors. The actor who played Stanley was also extremely good and you felt an instant dislike for the self-important, animalistic character, just as you are supposed to. All the actors were fully capable of doing the deep Southern accent and easily used the stage and props. They truly created the laid back, jazzy atmosphere of New Orleans.

Sound affects and music contributed highly to the realism of the play. Sounds such as a ringing bell when something bad happened or was going to happen helped to put the audience on edge and made them feel more evolved in the play. While the wild animal sounds affects in the scene where Blanche and Stanley have their final confrontation makes the audience feel scared for Blanche and also helps to illustrate her descent into insanity. The music of the ‘Varsouviana’ also adds to this affect and helped to create the atmosphere of Blanche’s misery and pain.

I felt that this was a truly brilliant enactment of Streetcar Named Desire because of the fantastic acting done by the entire cast, the choice of music and sound affects and how it stayed extremely close to the original script.

Book Review

Title: The Darkangel.

Author: Meredith Ann Pierce.

Rating: 2/10

This book tells the story of Aeriel, a servant to the town's lord. One day while looking for flowers with Aeriel, Eoduin, the daughter of the town's lord, is kidnapped by the darkangel ,a young, beautiful vampyre. In desperation to save Eoduin, Aeriel gives herself up to the vampyre, hoping that she will be able to help Eoduin. He makes her servant to his thirteen wives, one of which is Eoduin. But the darkangel has stolen their souls and they are now nothing but wraiths. Aeriel knows she must kill the darkangel before he takes his fourteenth wife and comes to full power. But Aeriel is captivated by his beauty and the spark of goodness she sometimes sees in him. But none the less she sets out on a journey to find a way to end the darkangel's reign of terror.

Although the plot sounds very interesting, I am afraid to say that this book was extremely disappointing. The language used by the author was bland and unexciting. In fact, her style of writing in general was a complete let-down for a book that had such a promising storyline. The characters were unrealistic and lifeless. The world in which the story is situated is not at all vividly described and even I, who likes fantasy books a lot, found the place names and other details of this imaginary world to be extremely confusing. Even though the book was very short, I found it very difficult to force myself to finish it. Even more disappointingly, the plot was extremely predictable. The only reason why I gave this book 2/10 instead of 0/10 was because the idea behind this story was well intended.

I would strongly advise avoiding this book at all costs, unless you are very caught for something to read. But if having to choose between reading your father's old car magazines and this book, I would, without a doubt, choose the magazines.

« October 2017 »
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • 31
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .