My First Impression Of Mr Rochester

My first impression of Mr Rochester is that he is a rather peculiar character. He has a rather honest way of speaking, although this honesty is wont to hurt people's feelings.

When he first meets Jane, he is deliberately misleading, not letting her know that he is her new boss. He is very stubborn and refuses Janes help until he finally has to admit defeat and then rides off with a very bruised ego.

Mr Rochester is very used to being in charge and getting his own way. He is self-centered and loathes to spend time with Adele because he finds her childish (what does he expect??), he orders Jane to play the piano and show him her portfolio. His direct manner comes off as rather rude and insulting at times. However, in turn, he appreciates an honest answer to an honest question, even when Jane basically calls him ugly! He is, at least, not hypocritical and for this I commend the character.

Overall I feel that mr Rochester's character is still rather vague and that we will learn much about him over the course of the novel. For now, however, I find him truely unfathomable...

« October 2017 »
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • 31
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .